Accused Bondi Gunmen Operated Solo and Did Not Undergo Preparation in the Southeast Asian Nation, Investigators Say.

Police officials speaking at a media conference
National Federal Police assert there is lack of proof the accused Bondi Beach gunmen acted as members of a broader group.

The pair of accused gunmen responsible for the lethal attack at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, that took 15 lives, reportedly been lone actors, as stated by national law enforcement.

Police further stated that Sajid Akram, 50, and his son Naveed Akram flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans included landing in the main city Manila before traveling onward on the day of arrival to Davao City. The duo flew back to Sydney on 29 November.

No Evidence of Training During Trip

Police indicate the individuals did not receive any type of attack-related coaching or "planning" during their time in the Philippines. Initial findings from Philippine authorities indicate they "rarely left" their hotel.

The shooting—labeled as Australia's deadliest firearm massacre since 1996—has been formally classified as a act of terrorism.

"We are actively reviewing the evidence," she said, noting that early evaluations indicate that "the alleged offenders are suspected to have operated independently."

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett told media on Tuesday that security camera video tracking the accused attackers' activities in the Philippines had been provided to domestic authorities.

"There is no evidence to indicate these suspects were affiliated with a wider organization, or were directed by external parties to carry out an incident," she said.

Yet, the duo were also not necessarily in the Philippines for tourism, Commissioner Barrett noted. She underscored that, since the inquiry is ongoing, additional details could emerge.

Ideology and Court Charges

Previously, the nation's leader Anthony Albanese commented it looks as though both accused attackers were "motivated by the so-called Islamic State" ideology.

During the incident, Sajid Akram was killed by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—equipped with firearms—are accused of having shot attendees at the Jewish festival celebration.

Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the shooting, has been charged with 59 offences. These include 15 charges of murder and one count of perpetrating a terrorist act. He is due to face court in April.

Travel Details

In the wake following the shooting, immigration authorities in the Philippines reported that the father had entered the country using an Indian passport, while his son used an Australian passport.

The pair had listed the southern city of Davao as their intended endpoint. Their scheduled journey back to Australia was for Sydney.

Davao is a expansive city on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest southern island. The region is known because, Militant groups have been known to operate in impoverished parts of southern and western Mindanao.

Javier Sanchez
Javier Sanchez

A London-based writer passionate about uncovering hidden gems in British culture and sharing practical lifestyle tips.